View Single Post
Old 12-28-2010, 06:16 AM
MTS
Banned

That first step in the link is the most important. It doesn't matter if the edges (WOF) are aligned, but that the selvages are, AND the fold is smooth.

I prefer to hold the piece up (works best with a yard or under). With my fingers, I move the selvage back and forth until the bottom fold isn't twisted, and hangs smoothly. Ignore how it lines up on the side of the fabric (where you cut). Just try it will a yard of fabric you've got laying around. You should easily see how it works the way the fabric hangs.

You might be surprised that you could end up whacking off a good number of inches, but it's so worth it do it this way - especially if you're dealing with a lot of strips -like for a Blooming 9-patch quilt.

Also, if you are joining several strips together, it's really important to alternate the direction of your sewing.

Strip one to strip two - top to bottom
Strip two to strip three - bottom to top

Otherwise, you'll end up with the dreaded J-strip. The piece will actually curve around. And then when you go to cross-cut it (for a 9-patch, for example), your units will be off.