View Single Post
Old 12-28-2010, 09:06 AM
fabric whisperer

Location: Ohio... wanna build a cabin in the woods and live off the land... and quilt all day!

My son, now 11, wanted to design a quilt when he was 7 -- we worked together on it, him picking out designs, approving my digitizing, and showed him how to layout the quilt (was a great math lesson for a 2nd grader!) It took over a year to finish in the spare time of letting the machine run, etc. We went to the store, and HE picked out all the fabrics... the girls just loved it, a little boy painstakingly looking for the "right" print/color. Hey, who says guys can't do this!

We ended up with this... 31 different Pokemon designs, no two alike, and it fits his loft bunk perfectly. I nearly have to fight him to get it for washings. Over 300,000 stitches in the embroidery, most poke's averaged around 10K each. BTW -- he would get home from school and say "Mom, I don't have any homework, can I baste my quilt?!?" -- so I setup my Gracie so he could go to town. So by the time he was 8, he had done nearly 1/2 the work on this quilt.

BTW he re-arranged it on the livingrom floor about 12 times before it was "just right" to start assembling the blocks. It was precious, and he has a total understanding of what goes into a quilt! So now he prefers to give handmade gifts, too.

half the quilt, he kept knocking out tension on my Gracie frame, so I clipped it on for him to work on basting...
[ATTACH=CONFIG]148984[/ATTACH]

happily working on his "baby"
[ATTACH=CONFIG]148985[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-148979.jpe   attachment-148980.jpe