Old 12-28-2010, 10:10 AM
martha jo

We did not have lots of things to keep in the frig. I lived in town and we always had an electric frig though quite small. My relatives who lived in small towns had ice boxes and my one uncle was an ice man. He came around most days and delivered a big piece of ice that went into the ice box. As a kid, I thought they were great because there was an ice pic and we could chip off ice. Ina regular frig there were two very small trays and I didn't dare touch them. Most people had kitchen gardens and grew some veggies. Also, we did not have everything all the time. I remember an apple and orange at Christmas and only at Christmas. I don't remember every having a banana. When tv dinners (we only got chicken pot pies) came out in the 50's, we really thought they were wonderful. At least two days a week we had beans and cornbread to eat - that's all. Sunday night we had crumbled cornbread in a glass with milk or buttermilk. Eventho we lived in a fairly large town, we had chickens and goats in our yard. I hated goat milk but it is what we had. Had to feed the chickens and was always careful after I found a snake in the coffee can that we dipped the chicken feed with. Coffee cans were about half the height they are now and bigger around too. Of course, we made lye soup in the yard. I really am not 100 = just 71. You are right, the 50's were a great time to grow up. TV came after I graduated from high school so was a reader.