View Single Post
Old 12-28-2010, 05:08 PM
BrendaB

Location: Muscatine, Iowa by way of West Virginia, Washington State, and Montana

Boy, this question takes me back to my first "sorta" quilt. I didn't even know it was considered a quilt until I saw instructions for one recently. I had 2 small children and very few resources, but my mother had given me a bunch of double-knit fabrics. I took a twin flat sheet, sewed one block at a time to the sheet and as I added a new block, would stuff the last with poly fill for pillows. It wasn't the prettiest quilt I have ever seen, but boy did it last. That quilt was used for all kinds of things over the years and I just parted with it a year or so ago, after about 30 years. I think now they are called "puff quilts." And my first 9-patch was made with 1/2" seams because I hadn't read about the 1/4" seam. It's the one in my avatar and was a gift for my 2nd son. He and his wife were thrilled with it and no one is the wiser that I made up each step as I worked on it. Even the binding went on beautifully and it was a large queen size - just kept laying it on the bed until I got the size I was happy with. lol