View Single Post
Old 12-28-2010, 05:50 PM
Mattee

It means I like you! Seriously, I only give quilts to people I care about a great deal. All of the recent threads about people's reactions got me thinking, and annoyed all anew, at a recent quilt gifting situation that's a bit different than those I've read, so please allow me to vent.

My MIL and I have always had a good relationship, I thought. She had mentioned several times how much she loves quilts, though not in a begging-for-one kind of way. So, I went ahead and made her one. It took me forever. I usually ignore imperfections and relax when quilting, but this one meant a lot to me, so I was much more critical of my own work than normal. The quilt was very difficult and time consuming, and I was very relieved and proud when I gave it to my MIL. Honestly, the thing was such a PITA to make, I'm happy never to see it again, but, I digress. My MIL loved it! She apparently dragged it everywhere for months to show to all of her friends. She traveled all over with it, even taking it to her hairdresser to share! I was thrilled that she loved it so much.

So what is the problem you ask (if you've even stayed with me this long)? I just recently found out that she thinks I might not like her. WTH!?!?! (please excuse my language, even in its texty form). But seriously, what the @#^&? I've spend literally hundreds of hours over the years making her gifts, including the most complicated quilt I've ever done, and she thinks I might not like her? What do I have to do? She's the only adult I've ever made a quilt for (other than my husband, of course). I don't do that for people I don't like! She does love quilts, and she knows how much work goes into them, so I don't know what she's thinking. What else can I do to let this woman know I like her? Being me, I would love to sit her down and tell her I like her, but my family thinks I'll come across as too intimidating and she'll cry, and not in a good way, so that's out.

Anyway, thanks for letting me vent. I love that she loved my quilt, I just don't know how or why she could not realize that when gifted a quilt the quilt-maker likes her! Believe me, I do not give quilts to my enemies.