View Single Post
Old 12-28-2010, 08:27 PM
beautress

Originally Posted by plainjane
Originally Posted by kclausing
wow. how long did that take?
I think I worked non stop for about a week.
PlainJane, I've been reading your thread for this past hour, and I especially enjoyed it, having done several postage stamp quilts myself. Mine are a little larger because I like the 1.25" finished size as it shows more of the large 30s repro (and some 30s) fabrics that I use. Unfortunately, I am working with about 1500 different fabrics and have designed on graph paper more than I can finish. Mine take about 6 to 8 months to complete (even with the larger size) due to having to sift through about 30 different "paint pot" storage containers. I went into this slowly with the idea my quilts would all be "charm" quilts (only one of each print) Unfortunately after I do about 800 squares, I don't have a single clue about which of the 1500 I have already used and have to review the squares like a book before cutting out the next 35 strips into squares.

I really love your method and the short time it took you to do a 60x70" 4200-square astonishing masterpiece with that contrasting border that makes your work such an exceptionally distinctive one.

Thanks so much for sharing your love of postage stamps. I hope the other people who post here will also share their work.

Here's the scrappy one I made 3 or 4 years ago for a friend's grandson who just had a baby brother who got a similar smaller one. It's called the "Big Brother" Quilt. It took 3 months due to my willy-nilly approach to a charm postage stamp work:

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c2...g?t=1293595949">

Detail of contemporary fabrics in postage stamp work 1.25 inch finished
[ATTACH=CONFIG]149351[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-149346.jpe