Old 11-05-2008, 05:53 AM
Judy Lee

Okay, that's the one I'll try. Looks much easier than the older recipes. (Guess I threw out my keg of salt too early.)

I, too, am a muscle-breadster but there's no one around now to eat what is produced. I miss massaging the yeasty-beasties, but for a retired single like me the ABM is the berries.

My sourdough bread was passable but I came to the conclusion that steam-injected ovens are necessary to deliver the tangy taste that commercial bakers have accustomed us to. Didn't feel like lining my oven with baker's brick, and never got around to investing in a cloche, or building a proofing box. Invested in a lot of books, though, so made some authors happy.

Our taste buds and expectations have been so manipulated by commercial bakery products that a home-grown effort seems not up to par. I have cookbooks from the 1920s, and those recipes don't result in anything approaching the taste we expect today. We are products of our times.

Bread. It seems to come with a dose of philosophy. Thanks for the recipe and I certainly will use it. Is your 4H group going to try it?