View Single Post
Old 11-05-2008, 07:24 AM
mary quite contrary

Butterfly, I used a pattern out of American Patchwork but someone else on this thread did a much nicer one and it is an Arkansas Crossroads I think and the pattern is on quilterscache.

Gail, A leader is when you are chain piecing you run a small scrap of fabric through that you leave until you go back to sew again and you keep using the same piece of fabric over and over until it is so full of thread you throw it away and get another piece. Instead of doing that I keep a basket of 2 inch squares cut from scraps right beside my machine and when I reach the end I sew a couple blocks together. Then I cut off whatever I am working on leaving the "scrap blocks" under the needle. I have a "scrap block" at the beginning that gets cut off and put in my basket.

Periodically I press them. In this case I went back and made a 4 patch. This is how I usually make my scrap quilts. It is really amazing how quickly it goes together one block at a time. Also, you don't end up with as many threads stuck in the carpet or on my socks to be tracked all over the house.

If this doesn't make sense let me know and I'll take pictures. I usually do better with pictures.