Thread: What is a gift?
View Single Post
Old 12-29-2010, 07:40 AM
ktbb

there have been several message strings about gifting and I got to thinking about the meaning of "gift". I learned the meaning many years ago when I spent some of my hard-earned money to purchase a hand knit poncho for my younger sister. On a later visit I learned that she never used it and I said I wanted it back. At that time my mother interceded and said: "a gift is given with no expectations and no obligations". I admit that I didn't under stand it then, but later experiences reinforced her definition...and the dictionary does as well -

gift –noun
1. something given voluntarily without payment in return, as to show favor toward someone, honor an occasion, or make a gesture of assistance; present.
2. the act of giving.
3. something bestowed or acquired without any particular effort by the recipient or without its being earned: Those extra points he got in the game were a total gift.

–verb (used with object)
5. to present with as a gift; bestow gifts upon; endow with.
6. to present (someone) with a gift: just the thing to gift the newlyweds.

—Synonyms (means the same as..): donation, contribution, offering,

These discussion strings have refreshed my understanding of the word "Gift" and reminded me that when I give a gift, it goes with no expectations...not of thanks or appreciations or even use. It was a gift I chose to give, not one that the recipient has earned. If I expect something in return, even appreciation, it's not truly a gift.

Thanks for alll the comments in the other strings.