View Single Post
Old 12-29-2010, 10:23 AM
amma
Power Poster

I have family/friends who spend weeks looking for the right store bought gift for all occasions... probably close to the same amount of time I would spend on making them a lap quilt/throw :D So time shouldn't always be a consideration in gift giving, they put out a lot of effort/time looking for the "perfect" gift.

As to giving a handmade gift, if it is something that I like, but they don't, that is not a reflection on them... I just missed the mark when planning their gift. A pleasant thank you is all that I feel is necessary.

It is no different than if someone made or gave me a golf related gift (I have NO interest in the game) or a game for a game station, or other gifts which would be hard for me to find a use for. I would thank them for the gift, but I may or may not keep it for myself.

A gift is a gift, if one is unused/disliked for any reason, the receiver doesn't know what to do with it, and it gets regifted, donated, or given away, or stored, does it really matter if it is/isn't home made? To me a gift is a gift...

So I am very careful about finding out if a quilt or other hand made item would even be wanted or desired. Next I find out their likes as to style, contemporary, traditional, etc... and then colors too.
I would not expect them to love a orange/black/green quilt if their rooms colors were pinks, blues, or something else that totally clashed... The same with a contemporary style room, and I give them a very traditionally patterned quilt.

This is just my humble opinion... but it does save me a lot of frustration, and hurt feelings. Yes, I may not be able to totally surprise someone with a handmade gift, but I would rather spend my time, money and energy on making for those who really do want, love, and enjoy them :D:D:D