Thread: Childhood Games
View Single Post
Old 12-29-2010, 06:20 PM
fleurdelisquilts.com

Absolutely! I remember playing almost every one of these games. I have 7 sisters and no brothers. We got our first TV when I was a teenager, so playing outside was the only thing to do. We also didn't have A/C. I was an avid reader (and a librarian today) but I'd go outside in the shade of the pecan trees to read.

We also made up games and were allowed to "run loose" as long as we stayed on our farm, which is 25 acres, so we had lots of room to run, play, and spread out. There was no fighting allowed, so when someone got mad, she just stomped off and stayed away until she cooled off.

Since we have no brothers, we made up a game we called "boys," which was so innocent it's ridiculous now. We made up imaginary brothers and talked to them or about them for hours. Of course, for all that practicing, I couldn't talk to a "real" boy until I was a senior in high school!

Did anyone play "Ghost in the Graveyard," which was basically hide and seek but at night? Instead of being It you were the ghost. We'd play only when cousins were visiting because we weren't allowed outside at night otherwise, and we were really afraid when we did play!