Old 12-29-2010, 08:13 PM
beautress

Hi, I'm beautress of the Great Piney Woods in rural Walker County, Texas and am new to this board. I'm thrilled to be here after having read a lot of posts last night, and I'd like to get acquainted.

My stash has gotten a little crazy lately. I finally got a china cupboard to put dishes in when we moved here last year from Wyoming, so I thought, "Well, opening the moving boxes can wait. I want to sew a couple of quilts for the charity quilters around here." So I put fabrics for 3 Shelter quilts in it and made 10 tops and 5 finished quilts in just a few weeks. Then, I thought, "Well, there's still some more space in the china cupboard," so I put some sewing equipment in it, too, and the new fabrics I was collecting from local quilt stores. Finally, I decided to put the fabrics in containers with the fabrics I moved here and put them in the nice empty bedroom upstairs that wasn't being used for anything else. I kept filling containers, and filling containers.

You have to have a lot of fabrics to make a few quilts, it seems. And the lady who said "She who dies with the most fabrics wins." may have been talking about me. :)

Some of my stash does end up in quilts...600 since opening a quilt store in 1987. When family mutters of "Oh, no, not another quilt!" were heard, I started giving them to a Handicapped daycare center until they were ordered by the government to wash the quilts in bleach. Then they went to the local police department in Wyoming to distribute to children officers deemed needing a quilt, and the city allowed me to actually show the quilts at City Hall for 7 years running until I got fibromyalgia and could no longer do the physical job of hanging quilts...

If I can ever find my album, I'll try to post pictures somewhere, but here are a few favorites I saved when making Wounded Soldier quilts between 2004 to 2009.

Stars n Strips flag I designed, pieced, quilted and gave to a soldier from Colorado wounded in Iraq.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]149845[/ATTACH]

Quilt of Valor, Music in Red White and Blue, given to wounded soldier
[ATTACH=CONFIG]149846[/ATTACH]

Boots and Stripes for a Wounded Soldier
[ATTACH=CONFIG]149847[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-149840.jpe   attachment-149841.jpe   attachment-149842.jpe