Old 12-29-2010, 09:44 PM
vintagemotif

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl
I had fun poking around a flea market today, searching for old machines... I have really been wanting to get a 15-91 for FMQ. I found a Singer with the serial # Y8821760, a treadle. When I looked it up online it said it was a 15K. Another one I found was a 15-90... So, how much difference is there between a 15-90 and a 15-91, and also a 15K?

All the machines I found today, save one, were in pretty bad shape. When I moved the wheels, they didn't sew freely. Only one still felt like precision movement when I turned the wheel. Any of these badly needs a big cleaning.

I would appreciate any thoughts/ideas on these. Prices were about $45-$75, and $145 for a Pfaff 135 that looked mint except the cord needs to be replaced. Advice?
I have a 15-90 that I took the external motor off and put the machine in a treadle to use for FM. I once owned two 15-91, internal pot belly motor; sold one and gave the other to my daughter. I have obtained a couple of free machines where the wheels wouldn't turn and after cleaning and oiling they turned smoothly (such a wonderful feeling). I like using a treadle for quilting/sewing since I feel that I have better control of my movement of hands with the speed of treadling. Don't know about a Pfaff, but you will like the Singers. Plus parts are easy to find for the Singer 15s.