View Single Post
Old 12-30-2010, 07:56 AM
justflyingin

Originally Posted by grammy17
My son spent the spring and summer in Germany and Austria. He didn't take any clothes with him--just his tent and backpack. He shopped in thrift stores for clothes. Can you buy used clothes in thrift stores inexpensively and take them apart to use the fabric for quilting. That is what I have done here. Men's shirts and ladies dresses and skirts have a lot of fabric.
Yes, this is exactly what I do, sometimes. I use all cotton/woven clothing that comes my way... and usually buy used curtains/bedding. This is mostly how I get my fabric anymore...I'll post a picture of something typical I can find. It is more or less the 'thrill of the hunt" when I go to these types of stores. I get excited about 100% cotton in nice weights and colors for potential use.

Hot, hot pink curtains I bought. I'm using them now for binding some quilts I have that coordinate with this.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]150084[/ATTACH]

Have to take off the curtain gathering pieces
[ATTACH=CONFIG]150085[/ATTACH]

Cut into strips...waiting for binding. You can see the 100% cotton label that was part of the curtains. The fabric is really nice...far nicer than what I can buy at the store new.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]150086[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-150079.jpe   attachment-150080.jpe   attachment-150081.jpe