Old 12-30-2010, 07:48 PM
cabbagepatchkid

Originally Posted by KatFish
My Singer 301 is skiping stitches when I sew anything heavy weight, like flannel, jeans, and anything with fusable web. Can anyone tell me what to look for. I rethreaded and changed the bobbin but no such luck.
You may need to fool around with the tension while using thicker fabrics. Also you may need to change the pressure of the feed dogs--I'm not exactly sure what that means :lol: but I read that once....it is the little knob on the top right of the 301.

Here is something else that I found that may be useful:

"Singer Needles

Singer needles are very common to one another and I think Singer figured it out early to use the same needle on most of there home style machines so the house wife could find a replacement needle easily. Here are a few machines that use the same needles.

Singer Machines using 15x1 needles:
Singer 101
Singer 221
Singer 201-2
Singer 15-91
Singer 301
Singer 401

As you can see the as you go down through the one hundred numbers the needles stay the same in the home Singer machines for the most part.

Not all machines have the flat side facing the left when you are setting at the machine. That usually depends on how the rotary is setting in the machne and of course not machines all thread from right to left.

Needles are one of the most important items to good sewing so replace them offten. Some of the things that go wrong with needles are:

Flat end on needle = Makes a noise every time the needle goes in the material
Hook on End of needle = Pulling your material or making an unusal looking stitch
Dull needle = Machine runing slower not able to sew some material easily
Bent needle = Skipping stitches
Needle in wrong = Skipping stitches or poor stitching
Wrong needle = skipping stitches, hitting rotary, breaking needle,

If you have any problem with your sewing this is one of the first things to try. Change the needle it is the cheapest repair you can make."