View Single Post
Old 12-30-2010, 08:02 PM
piecelover

I want to make my DGSs denim rag lapquilts. I've never made a rag quilt before, so I'm just winging it. I went to the Salvation Army store on their 1/2 off price day and bought large mens jeans (about 18 pair) and a p'bly an equal amount of mens flannel shirts. What I'm planning is to machine embroidery on some of the blocks. I'm cutting the blocks 6 1/2" square and will be using 1/2" seams. My question is, can I make these quilts a single layer? Just the denim? I am planning to back the embroidered squares with the flannel, so the back of the embroidery won't show, and will make the back of the quilt a little interesting. Or, do I need to use at least two layers of fabric for the quilts? I can always go to SA again for more shirts. Also, should I use a stitch other than a straight stitch, or stitch each seam twice?

I'm going to make 3 of these, one for each of the DGSs. I've started cutting the denim squares and embroidering for the first GS. His embroidery designs are all sports related. I think it'll be cute. Oh, wait, he's going on 12 now, guess I shouldn't call his quilt "cute", right?!

Thanks in advance for any advice. I LOVE this board!!!

Coleen