View Single Post
Old 12-30-2010, 10:50 PM
drgranny

I have had my longarm for about2 years. I did not take the free class that came with it until almost 2 years later. I did a lot of practicing on my own before I finally did the class. A nursing home gave me a lot of fabric that they had used to cover bulliten boards each month. They were getting new bulliten boards and didn't need the fabric any longer. They asked me to make lap quilts for the residents. So I had plenty of fabric to practice on. I have picked up muslin and other fabrics at garage sales so haaven't lacked for practice materials. After I finish practicing on a piece I bind it and give it back to the NH as a lap quilt. That way it isn't all for nawt. When I finally took the clas I learned that I had been doing lots of things the hard way. I had been doing lots of pantographs and was getting pretty good at them, but didn't really like my freemotion stuff. I do wish that the company I bought my machine from wasn't so far away, I would take more lessons. I haven't heard about any longarm lessons or classes in my area. But I do know that it takes practice practice practice. And I have not yet done enough. I don't plan on getting discouraged tho. Can't afford to not to use this $10,000 toy