Old 12-31-2010, 09:25 AM
fabric whisperer

Location: Ohio... wanna build a cabin in the woods and live off the land... and quilt all day!

Originally Posted by chris_quilts
Have a question about a vintage Japanese machine. The spool holder lies flat for storage and stands up for the spool when sewing. Someone, not me, lost the pin (a cotter, perhaps?) which should be there and jury-rigged it with some type of bristly wire. The wire hurts fingers/hands/whatever part of body it comes in contact with and I've been wondering: Can I replace the old jury-rig with my own? I would use some heavier jewelry wire which I can cadge from older DD who makes jewelry. That at least won't be bristly and I think it would work. Does anyone else have any ideas? I'm wide open to suggestions but the spool holder has to be able to move to lay flattish for storage in the cabinet. Thanks in advance. :D
That may work, if she does wirework -- just have her make an eyeloop and then wind the wire around (to look like a skinny spool of thread up the length of wire spindle) -- will look like this when wrapped (pic of a necklace, but you get the idea) My hubby does wire beading (we all got addicted to jewelry making this summer) and wrapping wire is strong with the right materials - I would use like a 20-ga or 18-ga copper wire, it will hold its shape!
Attached Thumbnails attachment-150627.jpe