View Single Post
Old 12-31-2010, 03:50 PM
beautress

Originally Posted by Nanamoms
Oh, goodness, I think I would lose my mind, trying to keep up with what went where!! Your quilt is beautiful though!
Thanks, Nanamoms. The postage stamp format is supposed to be one-patch. I have a lovely example of such a quilt from an antique store where the lady sold it cheap because it was not perfect in its matches, plus it was tied with yellow string she didn't like. For a song, I got a masterwork in subtle colors blended by similar values. I'm not sure what the quilter was trying to accomplish, but I liked her use of 1.25" finished squares, so I cut all my strips 1.75" and did my darnedest to stick with precise scant quarter inch seam allowances.

The reason I liked the slightly larger size is because you "get it" about the fabric statement on a larger square. However, no other size trumps the 1" finished square like PlainJane's beautiful master work in her avatar and in this thread.

After doing several one-patch projects--a quilt long ago, a triple scrap Irish chain, etc., I learned it was easier to place fabrics using only 1 rule--alternate values as best you can and roll the dice on the complete color wheel. I'd work in 4 patch from twosie strips, which I reserved for future quilts back when I started this. Eventually, I'd go through the twosies strips and cut a dozen 1.75x3" pieces, putting one of each of the thousand pairs I'd sewn into 12 separate 2-gallon zip-locking bags you can get at most groceries and chain stores. Someday, I'll get back to those bags--I filled 3 sets in all--and make quilts more quickly.

Again, if you alter light and dark, they automatically "fit in" and it avoids the problem of areas that look like fadeout where the dice roll of placement placed a lot of lights all together. I learned never to sew another pair of light twosie strips together because they looked pleasant!

Oops! DH just brought home me a little dollar burger, and though not hungry, he needs a companion for supper, so I have to leave mid-thought.

Love to all. Let me quickly say that if you ever do a postage stamp quilt, you could get totally hooked on this time-eating joy of a thing to do.