View Single Post
Old 12-31-2010, 05:02 PM
diane647

Originally Posted by Maurene
I made a table runner for a very kind young man, actually the same age as my older son, they played hockey together. He invited me to stay at his apartment when I finished work in the North a few years ago. He is an excellent artist - his website is www.macleoud9.com if anybody feels like having a great non-quilt art show for a change.
Now it is not easy to make a quilt for an artist, and a colourist at that!! He saw me choosing the colours and took the matter into his own hands. The colour combo was one of the best I've ever seen, a variety of greens light and dark and greys ranging from light to charcoal, large and small prints, in a foundation pieced 8 point star. I nearly blinded myself quilting it, but never mind. There were only 3 12" blocks, a border and binding. I felt badly it was only a table runner, I'd love to have given him a lot more, but too busy at work (nursing) so little time!
When I gave it to him (both his parents died very young, when he was young, he had a rough start) he said, Oh, It's so beautiful, nobody's ever made me a quilt before! I was so touched! It was only a table runner!
He moves it all over his apartment, calls it art, puts it on the table, on the back of a chair, hangs it on the walls, in the sitting room, his studio, his bedroom. It feels so worthwhile to make something for someone so appreciative. I'd like to make him something bigger, a lap quilt, - a bed quilt would be a lot of work, he's 6'6"!! But if I ever retire maybe I'll try to. Compared to my daughter in law who destroyed the three quilts I gave her in a matter of weeks....
What a wonderful young man. I wish I knew someone like him.