Old 12-31-2010, 09:46 PM
beautress

Originally Posted by pocoellie
Welcome, so glad you joined us. Thanks for doing so much for great charities. I don't know if you've got the biggest stash though. I've got 7 of the pattern cabinets from House of Fabrics, when they went out of business, all full of fabrics, folded, sorted by background color, and 24 large totes (65 qt.) full of fabrics, plus 5 totes(65 qt) full of scraps, plus 3 of the big black garbage bags full of scraps. This winter, I'm going to try to get through my scraps and get them all cut into squares and strips and organized.
You have almost as much as me. When I wrote this back on page 1: "/anteing up 40 large plastic storage containers of 1 yard pieces or greater, 14 medium-sized storage containers of 30s, 30 large containers of paint pot colors separated as to light and dark with extra containers of reds, blues, oranges, yellows, purples, greens, and light neutrals...a 100-yard reel of sturdy muslin, and 12 library wood drawers full of fabrics for the upstairs sewing room, visited only when I need an extra cutting area when the dining room storage cupboard and huge table get covered with itsy bitsy pieces, the quarter yard stash, and too many finished quilt tops...

I forgot about the room full of bins to the ceiling on the 3rd story of our quilt business' building--no less than 60 bins in that room.

I don't have room for them here. We need to put a tall metal building on a slab in one of the unused horse pastures on our new farm. We really need to get after that and get it done by next summer when we can go back with a trailer hitch and bring the rest of the fabrics and my longarm back here. Also, I forgot about all the boxes left unpacked in the converted garage here. The trouble with those plastic bins is that it's hard to get stickers to stay on them, and if you drape quilt material or a sample quilt square as to color or UFO in the bin, it can get damaged. I had to do all the samples in the store, and the leftover scraps piled up. I saved them all because I knew someday I'd retire and need them for continuing the work. I'm a believer and that to whom much is given, much must be given back. The fibromyalgia put a screeching halt to all my plans for years, then I discovered a product called Vital Factors that helps ease the pain but doesn't incapacitate the mind from getting things done timely. Even so, the cold weather sent us south, and we moved last year to beautiful Texas.

I think they should redesign all the bins to have clearview plastic and paper covers for marking what's in the container in very large letters so even the most nearsighted person can see them from the floor if they're piled up to the ceiling.

That'd encourage us to get back to the UFO in the 10 gray containers you bought to house leftover fabrics. I collect bird fabrics, animal fabrics, and use fabrics like an artist mixes colors--only we can't do that unless we get into dying. I don't like anything about the dying process except the finished product, and I need all those value shades, and I have to replace all the blues if I get on a kick and complete 10 full-sized blue log cabins, which I can do in a short 3 months.

Do you feel bad if you lose all your favorite colors after binging on blue like me?