Thread: Kindle Covers
View Single Post
Old 01-01-2011, 07:20 AM
clem55

Just made this one yesterday for my niece. It turned out real nice . The problem I had was fitting the chipboard inside. I used the measuremnts for the Kindle 2, since I couldn't tell if hers was a 1,2,or3. In short, my chipboard was too tight to fit without tearing the opening. So, keep this in mind when doing yours. I hafd to start over and Imade my fabric just a little wider. My niece is paralyzed in one arm, so I added a vertical strip of elastic across the back that will slip over her hand to help support the book. I also added elastic at the upper corners to hold the Kindle upright. The one thing I didnt like about this pattern, was the pocket at the bottom. In order to turn the Kindle on or off, you had to remove it from the pocket. For her that would create a huge problem. I also think it needs some Velcro at the bottom edges if you are wanting to have it stand up securely. I may try another one using elastic at the bottom instead of the pocket, and attaching Velcro somehow. Today I plan to make her a saddlebag to hang from the arm of her wheelchair , but need to find a pattern first. If anyone comes up with more suggestions, I sure would appreciate that. My niece is 59, taught highschool for the special needs class until her stroke 18 months ago. She has had bypass surgery, tumor removed from her adrenal gland, many staph infections , and total kidney failure, and has cancer in her spine. All during this past year and half. Expenses have been so high that she has lost everything. Her home was auctioned and all her family belongings. It broke my heart to see her just sitting in a wheelchair that she can't even move around, staring at TV. So, I made her one saddlebag and filled it with word search books, and printed out mandala coloring pages and quilt blocks for her to color, something to keep her mind alert. While she was in the hospital the last time, she lost her room, and someone took her saddlebag.She was so excited when I told her I bought her a KIndle, that made my Christmas perfect. I have a lap quilt just about ready to finish for her also. Sorry, didnt mean to rattle on, but Vicki is so very dear to me, I got carried away.