View Single Post
Old 01-01-2011, 10:53 AM
LoveBug

Originally Posted by Ethel M
I'd like to create small quilts containing Christmas family photos from across the years.
I'd appreciate any advice as products to use to print scanned photos from my computer onto fabric using my inkjet printer.
Do I need to use a fixative solution to set the photos? Are the commercially available photo fabric products the way to go?
Will just ironing the photo after printing on fabric do?
You definitely need to use treated fabric before printing. I don't know what kind of inkjet printer you have, but that can also make a difference too based on the ink your printer uses.

How will the project be handled? Is it a wall hanging that won't ever be washed? Or is it a quilt that will get lots of use & washing? That can make a difference in how satisfied you are with the finished product.

I had to experiment with different photo fabrics before I found one that was ideal for my printer/ink combo. I have an Epson NX400 which uses a pigment based ink, and I use Crafter's Images Photo Fabric that comes on a roll.

I would definitely recommend that you get a pack of a couple of different kinds, print some sample images, follow the instructions on the package, and then wash them afterward to see which results hold up better.

You'll also want to test different settings on your printer; for example, you might not want to use the "photo" setting (even though you're printing a photo) because it might deposit too much ink.

You also might want to check the ink levels in each of your cartridges before the final printing; it would be a shame to run out of a color in the middle of printing something. :)

HTH!

Ebony