View Single Post
Old 01-01-2011, 03:38 PM
quilter41

I have heard that poly cotton thread will cut cotton fabrics over time and that if fabrics are cotton they should be sewn with cotton thread.

Originally Posted by BKrenning
For piecing, I use Coats & Clark Dual Duty Plus on top & Sew Fine or Bottom Line poly prewound bobbins. There is a little fuzz but not much.

For quilting, I used to fight with C&C Machine Quilting thread but no more! I just tried a spool of Robinson Anton 50 weight cotton and it ran as smooth as silk. It does fuzz quite a bit but not as much as C&C and the quality is much better. Someone gave me a spool of Sulky Blendables and it was heavenly to work with but it's expensive. I also bought some King Tut but haven't used it yet. Many, many people swear by it, though.

I just finished 2 quilts and used the C&C Dual Duty thread in the bobbin with no problems at all. My plastic prewounds won't work in my mid-arm and I don't have any cardboard ones yet. I like the poly prewounds because they hold so much more thread and no lint. Also, I have to drag out my old mechanical machine to wind the metal bobbins for my mid-arm since I don't have a bobbin winder and they won't fit on my embroidery or piecing machines.