View Single Post
Old 01-01-2011, 09:33 PM
DonnaFreak

Howdy y'all :c)

Although I'm well aware that sewing machines can cost into the thousands of dollars, I'm poor. LOL! I'm fairly new to quilting, and I've made about 9 quilts and a dog bed so far. I've made a full-sized rag quilt, a twin-sized fat quarter quilt, several lap-sized fat quarter quilts, and a dog bed. I also made several scrappy pincushions as Christmas gifts using a log cabin design. I made my first quilt (the rag quilt) in August 2010...just 4 months ago. The rag quilt and the dog bed were "quilt as you go", and the fat quarter quilts were fairly simple to quilt just by making X's across the fat quarters, then sewing around the edges in straight lines. But I'm wanting to get into making some more complicated quilts that need to be quilted after the top is done. To be quite honest, it doesn't seem feasible to me to pay a boat-load of money to have someone else quilt a top for me if I can do it myself.

Wal-Mart has a Brother sewing/quilting machine for $199.99. I'm sure it's probably not as good as some that cost much more, but would it be good enough for someone who is just starting out and learning how to do it? I was thinking about getting this machine when I get my tax refund, but don't want to just throw away a couple hundred bucks if it's not worth it. Does anyone know anything about this machine, or can advise me on whether doing my own quilting is something I want to even get into at this stage? I would sure appreciate it! :c)

Donna