View Single Post
Old 01-02-2011, 07:49 AM
DonnaFreak

Originally Posted by cjomomma
First off I love the brother machines. I have 2 of them. I quilt on both and both have a 6in. throat, quilting anything bigger then a lap quilt is a major pain. You might want to check around for machines that have a longer throat. Now having said that how big of a throat does it have??
Thanks for your reply! I also have a Brother sewing machine, Model number LX-3125 that I bought at Wal-Mart for $79.99. I bought it on the advice of one of the teachers/leaders in our quilting group at work who said she has had the very same model for years and has never had a problem with it that a good cleaning and oiling wouldn't fix. So far I've done all of my quilts, the dog bed, and 9 pincushions on it. I've quilted all of the fat quarter quilts on it. Even the lap quilts can be a pain, but the twin sized one I did was a bear! The one I'm looking at has a long throat and has 22 different quilting stitches, plus free motion quilting.

I'd like to make some bigger quilts than I already have, and I know some of the women in the quilting group I'm in have paid $50.00 to have a twin sized quilt quilted by someone else. Anything bigger and the price just goes up. If I just quilted 4 quilts on it, it will have paid for itself in my opinion. But if that's something this machine can't do, I don't want to invest the money. I don't want to invest it either if it's something I might not be ready to do at my level. Y'know? ;-)

Donna