Old 01-02-2011, 08:02 AM
icon17

Originally Posted by Wazzy
Years ago I made some sample squares using Cathedral Window (CW) using a method that was slightly different than the ways shown in most videos and tutorials. I'm wondering if I do it that way or if there's a reason it's not done more often.

Here's the method:
Instead of folding the Big square in half and seaming both sides etc., you press under a 1/4" all the way around the square. With the wrong side of the fabric facing up, fold square diagonally (wrong sides together) and press. Open and repeat for the other diagonal. Open the square up keeping the 1/4" hem. With wrong side facing up (right side facing down on ironing board), use the diagonals as guides and fold and press the 4 corners to the center. Do not open this smaller square up. Now fold and press the next 4 corners to the center again. Voila! you have the same square you'd get the more common way shown in most videos.

If this method works, I then wonder if you even need to press that 1/4" hem all the way around. Can anybody tell me if this 1/4" is needed to help keep the fabric from fraying with use and laundering?
Could you do a tutorial? I really work better with pic's and maybe others do too. 8-)