View Single Post
Old 01-02-2011, 08:16 AM
smockingRN

Hi Laura,
I've had some questions re the pattern, so I'll try and share how I made this.
The outside is Scrappy Bargello, as seen on Bonnie Hunter's Quiltville website. I cut strips of 12 different fabrics 1.5"x wof and made a piece of patchwork about 18x 24". This was enough for the outside of the kit and leaves patchwork scraps for scissors case , pincushion, etc.
The inside was inspired by Beverly Sheldrick's booklet "Silk Sewing Kit" available at Martha Pullen's webstore and Amazon. Crabapple Hill's pattern "Wild Rose Sewing Wallet" is a good source of ideas, too.
To design the inside, I started with a sheet of paper about 10" x 18" and folded it in thirds, like the finished kit would be folded. Then I took a pencil and ruler and marked positions for pockets, scissors case, needlebook, etc. It was mainly done by giving myself permission to play around with fabrics, piping and a little hand embroidery. The pincusion and needlebook were made from purchased, Chinese-made appliqued guest towels, found on Ebay. I hope you have fun making a hussif! My sister loved hers! Karen in La.