View Single Post
Old 01-02-2011, 08:29 AM
akrogirl

Originally Posted by DonnaFreak
Originally Posted by Yarn or Fabric
If you are looking for a quilting machine, I would suggest saving up a little more or looking for at least a 9" harped machine. You will be trading one 6" for another 6".

From what I have seen, the "quilting machines" sold just include some extra feet for quilting and whatnot. You are really going to want more neck room for maneuvering quilts. You might score one on Craigslist or from a dealer used as a trade in :)
Thanks so much for your reply! :-) This one actually does have more neck room, more stitches than the one I already have, plus an extension table as well.

Could you please explain the first part of your reply to me? what is a "harped machine"? Is the measurements you gave referring to the neck size? Thanks in advance! :c)

Donna
Donna, the harp is the area to the right of the needle. The larger this area, the easier it is to maneuver the fabric for quilting.

Don't rule out a used machine from a dealer just yet. Most will offer some sort of warranty and even free lessons, and the machines have usually been checked out before being put on sale.

Also, you don't mention which Singer models you have bought in the past. The older models, such as the 201, 301, 401, 501 etc., are wonderful machines. These are real workhorses and can often be picked up pretty cheaply.