View Single Post
Old 01-02-2011, 12:24 PM
Maia B

I second gaigai's quotes. I've been a labor and delivery RN for 15 years and a lactation consultant for 5 years. I've always said that I'd like a tshirt that says "You got her pregnant, you can get her ice chips". Family is always asking me for something nonmedical and not urgent that they could do, when there is a pressing medical concern that I must address first. Sometimes a 26 yr old resident says something baseless or inane, which the pt repeats as if it's gospel, b/c the "doctor said so", to which I say, "I've got socks older than her". I also often say, " babies do that", "babies don't know what time it is", and "your baby didn't read that book". If it were me, I wouldn't want to receive a quilt that had any sayings on it that depict nurses as uncaring. We get that too much from people that just can't accept that life is full of pain, that we can't always completely alleviate. We don't order the meds, we just give 'em. Here's another quote, "Doctor, she weighs 300lbs, I think that dose is a little stingy".