View Single Post
Old 01-02-2011, 01:58 PM
Lori S

Having purchased several "Self- Published" patterns , I can offer a few suggestions.
1. Organize the directions, in a very clear step by step using and Outline format. Title each Step.
2. Clear accurate yardage requirements that are keyed to the photo , so placement of each color is very obvious. Nothing is more frustrating than having to try to figure out what color number 1 is . Do not make me dig for these, I do not want to have to open the pattern up in the store take it all apart to find any yardage requirements.
3. Having an alternate color photo/example helps those that are visual to start to see it with other possibilites. I have family that purchases a pattern and trys to duplicate the exact colors. Many are color challenged and will be drawn to a pattern first by its colors.
4. If it is paper peiced , have the printed papers in the packet. I purchased a expensive pattern , And the first step was to trace the pattern. The pattern was copywrighted so I could not take it to a copy place.... and the pieces were too large to fit on standard 8.5 X11 paper. Major frustration.
5. For those who do want to dupilcate the exact fabrics , tell what fabrics you used. Manufacture and designer.. all the info.
6. Do have a web site so if there are corrections they can be accessed.
7. Have down loadable patterns. Once I find a great pattern designer I always look for what they have thats new I might like.... and most shops will not carry all the patterns from one designer.
8. Have a true beginner test your instructions to see if they are clear to all. Having been quilting for a long time I can read the intent of the author .. but if you are new to quilting ... its easy to get frustrated.
9. Offer guidance/yardages etc for making it larger/smaller than just one size.
10. Eleanor Burns made her reputation/business from having the clearest instructions anyone could follow and remains one of the most trusted names in the business. Study one of her patterns and instructions ..for insight and guidance.