Old 01-02-2011, 05:43 PM
BoJangles

Originally Posted by Randa

I've been in contact with someone about a 1914 treadle machine and it's a Davis! Thanks to this thread, I've asked many questions about the machine. Now a question or two for you all. What would you give for a Davis treadle? He tells me it has all the parts and some extras..has the Davis shuttle bobbin...the pics sent were great...machine has lots of gold decals, it's in a dark cabinet, he thought was veneer, has the old dark patina (pateena?). He only lives 45 miles from me and if I pick it up he will take $10 off the price. I'm sure thinking about it. He nor his wife have tried sewing on it, so doesn't know if it works...but said the shuttle goes back and forth when they pedal. He said it's being stored out in the garage and it's cold so he did say the belt was slipping when they tried to pedal cuz it's stiff. Any thoughts?
It has the certificate of sale and the instruction book with it.
Randa, I'd pay a lot! I have a Davis and I only paid $25 for the machine and cabinet, but here is the big but! I now have to buy a Davis shuttle - that alone on the net is $45 for one shuttle! I also bid and lost a vintage 1881 Davis book. When I bid the book was going for $6.99 so I put a maximum bid of $20 thinking I would easily get the book! Well, while I was making 60 + enchiladas for New Year's Day, the book sold for - are you ready - $48.99! I was dumb founded! What is it with Davis that people think they have a gold mine! This is the second time I have been struck down with a Davis bid. I had bid on some Davis Boye #10 needles and thought I'd get a bunch -- they were all going (I thought) for about $7.99 a tube of three needles! Well, I put a maximum bid of $12 a tube and lost every one!

So if I ever get another change to buy a Davis, I would even if it was for the parts! I'd definetly buy a Davis like you describe that has all the parts and book with it!

Congratulations on your find -- if you get it let me know if you can get it to work and please post pictures! I am going to hang onto my Davis like Miz Johnny said because maybe I will find another one to use for parts if I can't get this one running!

Nancy