View Single Post
Old 01-02-2011, 05:47 PM
madamekelly

I posted a while back that I was making a quilt for my first great niece
http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-73306-1.htm. Well, I tried to free motion quilt it, and had no trouble with coordination, or machine, but I chose Fleece for the backing. (Baby will live on North Pacific Coast.) I spent most of a day trying to get it hand basted, enough for me to quilt in the ditch, then trying to work on FMQ again, pin basted some more, etc. Then, the end result had all kinds of puckers all over the back. "Aw, nuts!' (This gift is for a treasured niece.) I carefully released the stitches surrounding the tucks until smooth, then got out ALL of my stash, looking for a "fix" of some kind. My eyes lit on a fabric I bought a few years ago, to make me a bathrobe. It was the right colors, and pre-quilted Tricot, so it would hide the problem. I tied it as the new backing, then put the binding on. Problem fixed, gift on time, and baby got the warm snuggly (top, cotton batting, fleece, polyester batting, and Tricot.) quilt I always wanted. Another 'near miss' averted. I wish you all, a year filled with 'near misses', instead of 'Oh nuts!" Bless you all.