Old 01-02-2011, 10:56 PM
Flying_V_Goddess

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess
I've been quilting only a year and made 3 quilts. The last 2 had ME redwork. My posting in the picture area brought several questions. I was pretty clueless on how to incorporate the embroidery into the quilting and just winged it. I can see that if i just had a motif, i would embroider it on a plain fabric block and piece it in, but how do you do the embroidery with the batting in a quilt? My DH is Japanese and I have a set of sashiko quilt designs and would like to make a quilt but am unsure how to proceed. Thanks for any tips you can provide
I'd start out with a sampler before jumping into a big quilt to put it into practice. If you wanted the authentic sashiko look it probably wouldn't be realistic to do on machine because there is a little bit of spacing between each stitch in sashiko (to my knowledge). Its usually done by hand, though I have heard of a sewing machine that's supposed to replicate the look of hand stitching.

http://www.purlbee.com/sashiko-tutorial/ Here's a tutorial on sashiko stitching.