View Single Post
Old 01-03-2011, 06:36 PM
Happy Camper

For the most part, our stash is sorted by color. We fold each piece of quilting fabric (anything from ¼ yd to 3 yds) to fit short way in an under-the-bed clear container. We then stack the containers two high and two wide on metal wire shelves (like at Sam’s Club). Every container is labeled with the color on the front (or combination of colors, or novelty type). One of my daughters wanted me to add that the fabric in each container is placed darks to lights to help the younger quilters in their choice options.

Backing fabrics are stored on bolts stacked on the same type of metal shelving unit.

Unfinished projects get their own zip lock bag with reference info written on the bag then placed flat in another clear under-the-bed container.

All cut strips in smaller clear tubs according to size. All cut triangles & squares in labeled clear tubs according to size.

All quilting/sewing books on book shelf categorized by types & then alphabetized within their type.

We have seven quilters in our home so organization helps greatly and contributes to keeping the fur from flying too thickly when deadlines are nearing. I am an over the top type of organizer . . . . those I quilt with run the spectrum from piler to more obsessive than I am. We love to help people organize their sewing rooms/stashes and have found that the bottom line is that you need a system that fits you, that you can maintain, and that you can afford!