Old 01-03-2011, 07:04 PM
Candace

Originally Posted by Wunder-Mar
Several of the ladies in my guild's Hand Applique Bee have tackled the Halloween and Christmas quilts of hers - but they are mighty skilled and the results were astounding. I saw this done solely in fusible applique for a shop sample, but the owner said she fused the web backing onto the fabric before cutting the pieces out and then used Fray Check dispensed from a plastic accordion bottle with a needle-nose applicator along all the edges; she said since it's be a wall hanging and nothing else, it's held up just fine since the patterns were first sold, although she does store them flat with acid-free paper on top and between the seasonal quilts.

I've machine appliqued a ton, but in this case I'd only feel comfortable doing it with a satin stitch. That way no fray check or other issues as the raw edges would be taken care of. I'm very hesitant to do it via machine applique though, as I want to be able to use it and wash it and all that fusible would make it so hard. I know you can "window" the fusible so it's not so flat and hard, but I'm still thinking about doing this one by hand. I want to be able to wash it eventually and actually use it to sit under.