View Single Post
Old 01-03-2011, 07:29 PM
MadQuilter
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Quilter54
I cannot get the tension correct & the stitches are not very consistent even with the stitch regulator.
I found that I do best when I thread it through 2 of the tension holes - not all three.

Are you using the correct needle for the GQ? It takes a special type.
Are you covering the feed dogs with the cover plate?
Are you using good quality thread and use the same thread weight in bobbin and upper thread? Some machines are persnickety.
Did you rethread the machine and reseat the bobbin to make sure that everything is in perfect position?

My recommendation: Take a test block sandwich (plain muslin and some batting) and draw lines horizontally across the block one inch apart.

Start on the first line and set your tension to 1. Sew with that tension from line 1 to line 2. Change the tension to 2 - repeat. Change to 3 - repeat until you have sewn with all of the tension settings. Take the piece out and see which tension setting works best.

As for the free motion quilting, it takes a bit of getting the hang of it - no matter which machine. You need to find the sweet spot where the speed of the machine and the speed of you moving the fabric come together in harmony. Please PLAY and PRACTICE on some scrap pieces. You will be so much more relaxed because the outcome does not matter. (If you worked on a quilt, you would focus on the outcome and it would matter).

Don't give up. It is a process and with patience you will get there.