Old 01-04-2011, 06:08 AM
ckcowl
Power Poster

i have thought some of you are a little (over-concerned) with the little stuff...if you get really (up close-and personal) to some of the 'big-quilts' made by famous international celebrity (sp) quilters you will find- unless the quilting was done by a computer (statler stitcher)- the quilting is far from perfect....the decider really is...
if you hang the quilt up and stand across the room from it...how does it look? good?--THAT'S GREAT! oops...see something wrong...oops better fix that...
non-quilters see the quilt for itself...they have no idea that every thing about it is not exactly what you meant it to be...they do not recognize mistakes that we get stressed out about...unless you point them out and tell...

a few years ago my nephew taught me a quilting lesson...
he was making stained glass blocks...critters...the cutest things...i need to find pics...anyway...he brought me this kangaroo he had just finished ... and i noticed (up close and personal) that one of the fabrics was turned over...wrong side up...and i said..."jess, you have one of the fabrics turned over...it is wrong side up..." he looked at me as if i was from a different planet - went to his table and picked up a scrap of the same fabric...held his block up about 5 feet from me and said...hows it look? can you tell? IT LOOKED GOOD...AND NO, I COULD NOT PICK OUT THAT FABRIC PIECE. he then pinned the scrap fabric (right side up) over the spot...and held it up again...boy it jumped right out at you...and did not work!... and he said..." hey, I pay for both sides of the fabric...i'm using what ever side works :thumbup: then he gave me his 'impish' grin told me that was my lesson for the day...and left!
i miss having the boys around to sew with! they are *fearless* and so creative!