View Single Post
Old 01-04-2011, 05:20 PM
Ps 150

Originally Posted by MTS
Originally Posted by quilter68
Edited to add: Do some people do the applique on the border strips before attaching them to the quilt body? It seems to me that would be easier.
Yep, and you're right, it's much easier to work with.

You would do the applique on well measured and marked borders, then attach them. You can finish up the connecting "vine" in the corners when they are all attached.

Back to the borders - just adjusting the edges or ironing them isn't going to make the borders "fit" correctly.

I know it sounds drastic, but I really think
1 - you should take them off,
2 - re-measure a few times,
3 - mark the correct border measurements on the border pieces,
4 - mark your border applique so you know it will fit.
4 - do the applique,
5 - and then reattach the borders correctly.

As for which colors to use for the applique, I wouldn't introduce any new colors not already in the quilt. I'd use brown as the vine, or a darker red. The whole feel of the quilt top is very old-fashioned, almost Amish. Keep it simple.

It will be GORGEOUS when you're all done.
Thanks! I was thinking it wouldn't feel right by introducing a new color but wasn't sure if the brown would look right. I normally would do the applique first but I want it to travel around the corners (a new technique for me) so I thought I'd do it this way. I was trying to use this quilt to familiarize myself with as many new techniques as possible. Each appliqued heart block has a different technique from hand applique to reverse applique and the Drunkard's Path block was entirely hand pieced :| Not sure I like that method. :lol: But, I wanted to say that I had at least tried it before I "knocked it" as my Gram would say.