Old 01-04-2011, 05:31 PM
earthwalker
Power Poster

Have enjoyed reading this entire thread. I have found self-criticism to be the most crippling thing out. For many years I would not do something or continue with it if I couldn't do it "perfectly". Looking back, it was such a sad waste.

I have been quilting for a couple of years now, because I really love it (along with gardening). Now I am refusing to let that negative self-talk get in the way. Sure, I strive to get things right (lots of unpicking and re-matching), just like I have to work with poor soil and a fairly arid climate in my garden. Some things work, others don't, so I adjust and keep plugging away. I am a lot happier and each quilt teaches me something new and is better than the last.

I now look at other people's work with fresh eyes....I don't look for perfection or mistakes, but colour, design and the "story" behind it's creation. Too me some of the most beautiful quilts are the older ones, the utilities, the marriage quilts, memory quilts,Gees Bend and of late the Tutwiler Quilts. Not forgetting of course, the amazing works I find here each day. Happy quilting everyone.