Old 01-05-2011, 06:23 AM
BoJangles

Originally Posted by Crossstitcher
Well we went and picked up our two new orphans today. One is a 1919 Red Eye and the other is a Davis Vertical Feed. I have a number that is on the bobbin plate of the VF which is 1088859, and the last date listed on the bobbin plate is May 12,1886. Don't know how to date the machine Nancy do you have any idea how to look it up. Both machines took right off sewing. The belt is broke on the VD but I tried it out just turning the wheel by hand. They are really dirty but I think will clean up nicely.
Trish could you post a better picture of the Davis and the cabinet? I think I have the same machine, but mine is missing a thread guide near the tension disk? I really need a picture of the whole machine and a close up of the head. Also can you post a picture with the shuttle plate open and the exact fit and orientation of the shuttle when it is in the machine? Did you say your shuttle said Davis on it?

I am so envious that your Davis worked right away! I do have the correct needles now -- managed to finally get a few tubes, but still have the wrong shuttles (I think).

Is your pitman wood? I will go look at my Davis serial number today. Mine in between 1886 and 1890. What a lucky find you got with both machines! I also love my Redeye!

Nancy