Old 01-05-2011, 01:15 PM
Pins n' Ndls

Originally Posted by tjradj
Ok, I've jumped in with both feet now. Sorry to hear someone is thinking of throwing out a 27 with no cabinet - have you approached quilting stores to see if they'd like it for decor?

I went to look at a 27 in a cabinet this morning and she stole my heart. (she's a 1904 model) I figured she'd be in a barn and covered with, well, you know, but I was pleasantly surprised.
Although she comes without a history, because this fellow bought her with the intent to restore her, she was a prize.
I know I said my 27 was going to go in the trrash, do you really think I could ? Just frustration talking. Thanks for the suggestion re: quilting store display. I have a few other bright ? ideas also. Will keep everyone updated if anything new surfaces. Thanks all. BTW: all kinds of good luck with your new baby.
She is lucky to have found you.
The machine itself, is a sphinx model. The decal is in remarkable shape with only a little bit of wear on the front left corner. She's dust, and grimy, but otherwise workable. She has no belt (treadle) right now, but with turning the handwheel, it turns smoothly. She needs the front bobbin plate.
At first he said there was not a shuttle or bobbin with the purchase, but when we opened the drawers there was a shuttle and 3 bobbins in a baggie - in pristine condition!
The cabinet is the 4 drawer type, it has a small missing piece of wood/veneer at the back left attachment hinge, and the front left corner of the front "flap" part that holds her up. The front drawer that goes in the middle front, is there, but the right corner piece is missing - but it is of simple enough design that any woodworker ( or me) could easily make a mirror image from the left one.
So, after talking with the gentleman for a while, I couldn't leave her there, and for $60, she came home with me.
Does anyone know what wood the cabinets are made from? I'd love to find some to match and stain it to match.
Billy - I'll be contacting you about the belt(and clip) and the front bobbin plate!
I am a happy camper today. Can't wait to rearrange furniture to find her a place!