Old 01-05-2011, 02:36 PM
Lacelady
Power Poster

Originally Posted by wilhelmina
Originally Posted by Lacelady
The site I posted here a few pages back, where the AOTH had won a prize (had a different border to the original) was all done by machine - it can be satin stitched, or buttonhole stitched, so no hand sewing unless you want to sew the curly bits in yellow by hand

All stitched by machine (satin stitch) and it looks good to me:
http://cherylquilts.com/affairs_of_the_heart.htm
Thanks Lesley, its those curly bits in yellow that are giving me pause, I cannot sew that much by hand. Initially, I thought I would do something modified by machine...

It is a BEAUTIFUL quilt! I had just about decided I would use a cream background with reds and pinks, although I have a lovely bundle of batiks I purchased at a quilt show last year that want to be used! :lol:
Do you have a 'hand stitch' on your machine? It sort of stitches three stitches on top of each other before going on to the next one - if so, you could use that. Or you could use a thicker thread in your bobbin, and machine from the back. You would have to mark the back of your block doing it that way, but it's perfectly possible. You could also use your machine to couch a thicker thread from the front, with a very find zig zag. It helps if you have a foot with a hole in it just in front of the needle that you can thread the thicker thread (or fine ribbon) through, so that it arrives just under the needle as you zig zag over. Part of the fun of these quilts is the challenge of doing something you haven't ever tried before.

I think all the DJers were in that situation a year ago, there was a lot of fear and trepidation, especially from those who had never hand appliqued, but they have all done beautiful work, even if it was a learning curve. That is what this board was all about, lots of help and encouragement.

I love the idea of your colour scheme too - it would look so different and pretty.