View Single Post
Old 01-05-2011, 08:12 PM
beautress

Originally Posted by bubblesslh56
Hello my name is Sandy and this is my first time here. I have been keeping scrap material for some time now and I think I want to start a quilt for a queen size bed, my question is, Is this going to be to big of a project for me on my first try at quilt making? and Do I sew all the patches together first?
Welcome from the Tall Pines of rural Walker County Texas, Sandy.

A queen sized quilt is yes, a big project, but nothing will stop you if you are motivated to have that beautiful quilt you planned.

If you're concerned about getting bored, just hang around here often. You'll meet some very wonderful quilters who live to quilt, and you can't help but grow motivated about any quilt task from all the enthusiasm here.

May I make a suggestion? Try out the pattern you are going to quilt in an 8-inch size, or make a nine-patch potholder using 3 inch squares. Quilt the three layers, over a cotton batt or doubled piece of cotton flannel and join it to a quilted 3-layer all-cotton back. Use all cottons and bind the potholder with a cotton bias cut of 2 1/2" folded over and pressed along the length for a matching bias binding.

That will give you an idea of the time you will be putting into your quilt, plus it will give you a little experience in the importance of accuracy. Be sure if you run into trouble, start a thread over at Main and other quilters will come to your aid, and you will get so much help.