View Single Post
Old 01-05-2011, 08:48 PM
zzzGP
Banned

Originally Posted by katier825
So glad you had a great experience! It's tough in this economy to use only quilt shop quality fabrics. Splurge for special projects and mix with nice quality muslin to stretch your stash!

Now that you've experienced the "good" stuff, there are lots of online shops you can check out that sell the same brands...that's a whole other topic!
:lol: I know the economy well...too well. I'm on a very limited disability income dealing with a debilitating neurological disease for the last 12 years. So, I will still shop Hancock's and JoAnn's and others because I have to (and want to). There are things they have that the LQS's might not have. But there was much more to my experience than just the awesome fabric. In fact, I wasn't able to purchase any fabric but only some thread and notions.

The whole experience was such a blessing; indeed a whole new world and the people there made it even more exceptional. They made "me" as a man feel special even though I didn't spend much money.

I have so many quilts I want to make not only for my family but for those in need such as the kids in hospitals and children's homes (which is near to my heart). There have been some who have shared from their fabric and I'm eternally grateful and I promise to be a good steward. It's just I had never been to LQS before and to see not only the quality but their service and well...the entire package. It was rewarding! I want to be able to give the best quilts I can...whatever that is and I'm grateful for it. :D

It also forces me to really think about how I should plan my quilts from the beginning to the end, buying only the fabric/thread etc. I need, buying the best I can afford at the time. And I'm thankful I had a helpful sales person who would take the time to guide me which one did yesterday correcting me from buying the wrong quilting gloves. I can't get that from the other stores and definitely not on-line.

So, it's not just the fabric. I've found a new passion which I've needed for a long, long time. It's fun...(and...ha,ha expensive!) but I'm having a ball.

Thanks to all for your comments. You all are a treasure!