Old 01-06-2011, 06:32 AM
kwendt

Originally Posted by lynmccoy
Check your local Goodwill store or BargainFinder paper. A kitchen table,or dresser makes good cutting tables and won't cost very much or may even be free.
Yes... my husband and I do this all the time. In fact, (to lynmccoy too-you are so right on the need for a good chair!), I found my sewing/drafting chair and my office desk chair at Goodwill! A little cleaning up, some taking apart and re-lubing... and a sewn cover to pretty it up... was all I needed to to! The office chair is a top of the line model, sells for over $375. I got it for $25.

The drafting chair I found is about midgrade, selling for over $150, and it's got a nice high back. The pneumatic cylinders work just fine and it's got adjustments everywhere. The padded arms were torn up from someone ramming them into a desk, but I was going to take them off anyways, so who cared!?! I paid $18 for it. Bought new hardwood floor casters for both chairs ($21 each set). Neither one was 'smoked' on, upholstery wasn't bad either. I cleaned them up and voila!

Goodwill and habitat store are the best.