View Single Post
Old 01-06-2011, 08:54 AM
Cupcake

Originally Posted by dunster
Originally Posted by raptureready
11 yds is a lot for a 60x60" quilt unless you're talking about the backing and binding too. Even then it might be a lot. Oh well, you can always use the leftovers in another quilt or sell them. I never wash a length of fabric over 2 1/2 yds long. It gets too tangled. You can serge both ends to prevent keep if from ravelling or cut it with pinking shears.
Raptureready - I thought it was too much fabric too, until I realized it's a cathedral windows quilt. They do use up a lot of background fabric, but that serves as backing and batting too.
I thought it seemed like a LOT as well, but I don't have a long arm or access to one. So, I thought that a CW pattern would be a nice way for me to start out and end up with something finished and useable.

I honestly have no idea what I'd do with a quilt top after I finished one at this point. *shrug*

It looks like I should get some pinking shears for sure. I'm honestly a little overwhelmed by the prospect of cutting 225 squares out of that much yardage. I have looked for pre cut squares and it seems so much more expensive.