Old 01-06-2011, 09:44 AM
GrammaO

Originally Posted by Jan in VA
Originally Posted by joan_quilts
When I am teaching people how to quilt, I tell them they have to make sure they are cutting accuaratley, have to know the 1/4 inch seam rule, and the rest is preference. I can show them short cuts, but as long as you are happy with your work, that is what matters.
Now that's a teacher. :D

For the 'new' quilt police, next time she does this, lean back a smidge, look her straight in the eye, slightly raise your eyebrows, do not break contact, do not speak first, wait her out, see what she does.
I'm betting she will find that quite uncomfortable and hopefully make the connection that HER behavior is making you uncomfortable as well.
Nothing is more ridiculous or annoying than a newly taught proselytizer.

Jan in VA
"poselytizer"! I love that word! I have no idea what it means, but I like it (now I have to go look it up :-) See how much you learn on this board!) I also love this piece of advice. It can be applied to almost any situation and I will definitely keep it in mind next time anyone thinks that they are no longer teachable because they already know everything.
Have you introduced her to this board? She will quickly find out that a) there are many, many ways to achieve quilting results and b) there are thousands of women on this board who have tried most of those ways and few will say there is one 'right' way to do it.