View Single Post
Old 01-06-2011, 10:40 AM
BizzieLizzie

Originally Posted by BenLinz
Hiya!!!

well I have floated about these forums for a few days and decided to introduce myself as I have a conundrum that im hoping someone here can help with....

Im a competent stitcher who avoided quilts for many years. Finally decided to give them a go.

So I used a bunch of old jeans and made a great snuggle lap quilt (rail blocks quilted in the ditch) and then tried a single size "stretched stars" quilt (was still finishing off the FMQ at 10:30pm on christmas eve!) for hubby's christmas. They turned out great, and now I am officially hooked.

So my next project is using "tumbling blocks" as a central feature on a single size bed quilt. I want to use the blocks to form a diamond-ish shape in the centre of the quilt on a plain cream background.

So now for my conundrum. Do I want to patch in the diamond? or applique it? If I applique it, what is the best method to use?

Hmm. have just realised this is an intro thread and I havent really told you much about me....
im female, twenty-mumblemumble years old, married and I teach science at a local high school, I have no kids, 4 cats and I will try any kind of craft... except quilling... because I get paper cuts.

Hi,

I think that if you are thinking of having the tumbling block design in a small area and not the whole quilt, it would be easier to piece the pieces together by hand (English paper piecing technique), then use bonda web to secure to your main quilt and slip stich it to make sure that the pieces don't fall away with repeated washing. In the quilting process this will be secured better.

If it is a whole quilt, it may be more accurate to piece them by hand but tedious. You may wish to use the strip pieceing method mentioned by another person earlier. I could not comment on that technique because I have not used it myself for tumbling blocks. Best of luck. Tell us how you get on.