Old 01-06-2011, 01:08 PM
Prism99
Power Poster

I would not, especially if you don't have prior experience. It looks like a Red Eye, which is a nice decal to have, but it's in a portable (ha-ha-ha) case (they weigh a ton!). I'd want a 66 in a cabinet. Plus, where I am anyway, $125 is overpriced for a machine in this condition with the bobbin cover plate missing. If I found this in a local thrift shop, price would be around $35 to $50.

Also, I *always* plug a machine in at the thrift shop and make sure the foot pedal makes it run. If I've thought ahead, I also bring thread and fabric so I can make sure the machine actually makes a stitch when it runs. (If it doesn't make a stitch, it could be out of time, and that requires some knowledge to fix at home.) I also don't like to buy machines unless the cords are in good condition, although my understanding is that replacing the cords is not a huge deal.

$125 would be a good price if the Red Eye were in a treadle cabinet.

Oh, one more thing. With this kind of case, the machine is hinged at the back so you can tilt the machine back and store small items in the base. There are usually a couple of little hinge locks on the right side that you can move with your finger to allow this tilting. The bobbin cover plate might be in the bottom of the case. (You can see one of the hinges in the last picture.)